Look at this picture of Chase. Can you see how content and happy he is? And meanwhile, I am equally content and happy while I am getting 27 minutes to myself to get something done. The source of this contentment? Baby Einstein. Now, I am VERY sick and tired of all the bad rap Baby Einstein has gotten lately. A while back the L.A. Times ran an article on the front page about a study that was done where kids that watched more than an hour a day of Baby Einstein learned 6 fewer words, or something like that. Since then, this is all I have heard about from people. You know what...I think your study is lame!! First of all, I would like to know the background story of these families that are included in this study. I have a feeling that these parents most likely are less involved with their children, do not interact with them as much, and that they are watching well over an hour of Baby Einstein as well as other TV and videos.
Reasonable parents, like myself, on the otherhand, usually limit the watching to only once a day (27 minutes of paradise), and actually pay attention to their kids during the remainder (or part) of the day. And besides, I want to know what is bad about letting your child listen to classical music and look at toys on a screen. What is the difference? Plus, on many of the videos they show objects and say the name...how is this not teaching them words? Are they better off being left to stare at the wall for 30 minutes?
So, I want to know who out there is with me? Baby Einstein videos are genious and help with my sanity. Plus, if the VERY WORST that could happen is that they learn 6 fewer words, I have a feeling that by the time they get to high school they will make up for it.
9 comments:
Amen Laura, Don't listen to anyone but, yourself. If thats the worse thing that happens to your kid these days, your doin great. Im sure these same people that say its so bad are letting there kids suck on the lead poisoned toys or are neglecting there kids while they write really long blogs!!
i don't know - you have seen my kids, right? seth still does drool periodically at almost six and ella did try to get my attention today by reaching out her hand and saying something like "gish," and the jury's still out on drew since all he can say is "uh-oh." but chasers is sure looking cute sitting up all by himself during his 1st of, tell the truth laura, 10 27-minute sessions in front of the t.v.
kel
Do what you got to do. Our sanity is worth a lot more than that. Maybe they should compare the sanity level of parents who have absolutely no breaks and those who at least get 27 minutes.........
The two kids Kylee's age that talk the most are the ones that watched Einstien over and over again. Seriously, Chase is clearly happy and that is all that counts. You need the break... and if you were really having a bad day I would say pop in another cause it keeps you from going crazy.
I am SO with you, Laura! Sometimes you need to plant your kids in front of a show so you can shower or something. Madeleine watched kind of a lot of baby einstein and signing time and she is one of the smartest kids I know. I guess I'm biased, but I have heard other people say she is smart, too. I think if your kid is going to be smart, it won't matter how much or how little baby einstein they watched as a baby. Stupid study!
BOOOO! Shame on you...tsk, tsk! JK Go for it Chase!
Hmmm, the two times I have put Norah in front of Baby Einstein she looked out the window and practically yawned. Now sitting with Daddy watching baseball or football, somehow that's fascinating to my four month old daughter!
alright laura, we need some new material. when you become the master blogger, your audience demands high creation. we need some more laughs!!
I have to ammend my earlier comment. Suddenly today, Baby Einstein is soooo interesting!
Post a Comment