I was struggling to haul a sleeping Chase out of the car and up to his bed the other night, with his legs dangling way past my knees when it hit me, I have a BOY. Not a toddler aged boy, but a nearly school aged big boy. Who I also realized while buying some new summer wardrobe, that I have to shop in the BOY section now, not the toddler section that I have become so familiar and acustomed to. I am literally entering new territory here. Which has gotten me thinking that my quiet days at home with small children who are easily entertained are numbered. When is just going to the park or Chick Fil A playground going to get lame? I already have to pack sports equipment and/or razor/bike every time we go to the park now. And you know how you always get annoyed with the big kids who are acting all crazy on the playground equipment and don't their parents know that this is for little kids? Now I am not sure when I am at that point. Surely some parents have already been annoyed with my rambunctious boy and his friends climbing all over the place endangering their 2 year olds. You get so anxious for your little kids to get bigger so they are more independent which means more free time for you, but lately I just want time to slow the heck down already. I am not ready for a big, smelly boy. I'll take my sweet little boy for a few more years please.
So you know how I was all worried back in the fall, with a new baby coming and having so many friends whose kids were in school and what am I going to do all day every day with three little kids and having to be home so much? But I have discovered something about myself these past six months. I actually LIKE hanging out at home with nowhere we have to be. I look forward to days wide open, with no pressure to change out of PJ's, doing whatever we want at our leisure. I am enjoying our little foursome dynamic we've got going on.
Earlier this week we had a perfectly relaxing no-pressure-to-go-anywhere-or change-out-of pajamas kind of day. I looked over at my kids, who on their own just got out some art supplies and were workin on some projects. And with a little ache in my heart I realized that life will never be this simple and quiet ever again. Kids start school, days start filling with practices, schedules, errands, and simple,quiet days are few and far between. And I know that I will enjoy that phase of my life when the time comes. I am just glad I have gotten to enjoying this phase before its over.
5 comments:
I feel like when i read your blog, i am reading about my life, my feelings, and sometimes i feel like I see my kids:)
I just registered M and B for kindergarten and freaked out a bit. I will not have the freedom to just do whatever I want, to run away to California for a week when I am sick of the rain, or to randomly decide to go the zoo on a random Thursday. Instead I am tied to school... And practices etc. I am glad i have realized it and am loving my time with just us, cause I jus realized like you that it won't be like that ever again.
Definitely enjoy it because you will soon be a full-fledged member of my world. But each phase is a good one and you have to enjoy each one that comes. And I wouldn't worry about having a kid too big to play at the park until you have a large gangly 10-year-old like mine. He's got a few years.
good post. and they will always be our small little boys no matter their size.
i still try and hold on to the days of nothing, i don't think we are ever too old for it, i am going to make an effort not to let them fill up.
i call it hibernating and i love it ,seriously the naps are better when we do
can i please get some stay-in-my-pjs-all-day-long with your kids?? pahlease!? that would be the best.
Truth spoken. We just need to enjoy each phase of our lives. It's great that you can see that.
Post a Comment