Around Christmas time, during Chase's Christmas light obsession, we were driving in the car and Matt wanted to point out a house to Chase and said "Chase, look to your right". I informed Matt that Chase did not know what to the "right" is yet. To be argumentative, Matt responded that he would teach Chase right from left. I went on to "explain" that this was an abstract concept that a 2 year old does not understand and that he would be wasting his time trying to teach Chase right from left and that we should focus on teaching him things that are age appropriate.
.
Matt would not relent on this subject, and it infuriated me. I am talking many heated discussions. I did Internet research proving that kids don't understand right from left until they are about 5 to 6 years old. I surveyed friends and family to ask when their kids learned right from left so Matt would know to drop this subject and understand that he was wrong and that I, of course, was right.
.
It became the family joke, talking about teaching Chase right from left. I started to ignore Matt at this point whenever he brought it up.
.
Until last week.
.
Chase and I were with my parents, Matt had just left to go to a Church meeting or something. We were sitting at the table and my Dad asked "Chase, which is your right hand?" Chase lifted up his right hand. and then, "which is your left hand?" Chase raised his left hand. "OK", I said. "That was a fluke". So we went through it, again and again and again, switching the order of which hand we asked. Chase got it right every time.
.
I pleaded, "Don't tell Matt".
.
I am still holding on to coincidence, but let me tell you, Chase has gotten it right about 90% of the time since.
.
I still think I am right. I can't doubt my mothering expertise.
2 comments:
you cant title this post "my son, the genius" if you dont actually beleive that your son is a genius. im going to have to go with matt on this one. i did witness the left/ right discernment in AZ.
i like how his hand looks HUGE in the picture. and i'm impressed with his mad skills. i don't think drew will get that concept anytime soon, especially since he still can't properly identify his colors.
Post a Comment